The top-priority direction for the development of the region’s energy sector is production of energy carriers from renewable sources and alternative fuels.
Ratio of alternative energy in the structure of total consumption of energy carriers in the region amounts to 3.5%.
This is one of the best results among Ukrainian regions. During the recent years there has been installed equipment with 10.6-mW total capacity, which operates on alternative energy sources. This has provided an opportunity to substitute about 1.6 mln. m3 of natural gas per year.
The urge of central and regional authorities to diversify energy sources, as well as their principal emphasis on renewable energy sources, is outlined in the following regional strategic documents:
- Rivne Region Development Strategy for the period until 2020;
- Regional program of compensation of interest on credit taken by physical parties for implementation of energy saving measures for 2015-2018;
- Regional Energy Efficiency Program for the period until 2017;
- Rivne Region Energy Efficiency Complex Program for 2018-2025.
- Biomass potential of Rivne region is composed of grain legumes biomass – 200 ths. mW*h/year; corn biomass – 310 ths. mW*h/year; vegetable biomass of open and closed ground – 230 ths. mW*h/year.
- Annual potential of animal agricultural biomass in Rivne region: amount of organic matter – 10.4 mln.tons, yield of biogas – 498 mln. m3, substitution of organic fuel – 398 ths. tons of fuel equivalent.
- Average volume of waste wood to be used as fuel – 111 ths. m3/year, energy saving from using waste wood as fuel – 21.8 ths. m3/year.
- In 2017 a biogas station has been started at Rivne landfill.
- Successfully realized pilot projects of growing Energy willow and energy crop “Miscanthus Giganteus”.
- Annual amount of solar energy amounts to about 1100 kW*h/m2.
- The region’s total potential amounts to 21.8*109 mW*h/year, technical potential – 10.5*107 mW*h/year, and economically-efficient potential – 1.6*105 mW*h/year.
- The region has vast land areas, unsuitable for traditional agriculture, which can be used for creation of solar power stations.
- Rivne region has considerable resources of surface waters (7 km3), as well as a range of rivers that have high hydro-technical potential for location of small HPP (of 500-kW capacity): Horyn, Lva, Stubelka, Zbytynka, Putylivka, and Bober.
- The region’s total potential amounts to 0.304 bln. kW*h/year, technical potential – 0.201 bln. kW*h/year, and economically-efficient potential – 0.091 bln. kW*h/year.
- Two small hydroelectric power plants function on the territory of the region, namely, Mlyniv HPP (362 kW) and Khrinnyky HPP (860 kW).
Average wind speed in the region amounts to 4.5 m/s. At the height of 15 m the wind’s natural potential is 2010 kW*h/m2 per year, and its technically attainable potential is 390 kW*h/m2 per year. To compare, the same parameters for the height of 30 m are the following: natural potential – 2710 kW*h/m2 per year and technically attainable potential – 520 kW*h/m2 per year.
- About 20% of Ukraine’s national peat reserves are located in Rivne region. The experts assess their volume at over 136 mln. tons.
- The total energy potential of peat in Rivne region amounts to 1176.2 mln. mW*h/year, and economically-efficient potential – to 575.3 mln. mW*h/year.
Numerous events, directed at development of alternative energy sources, are held in the region, namely:
- There has been created Rivne Cluster of Renewable Energy Sources;
- A project “Biomass Energy – Turning Natural Potential into Regional Partnerships” within the framework of Belarus-Ukraine Eastern Partnership Territorial Cooperation Programme has been implemented.
- Since 2015 there has been founded the annual International Specialized Exhibition “Modernity. Energy conservation. Technologies. (SET)”, within the framework of which enterprises of Rivne and neighboring regions, as well as foreign partners, have an opportunity to share their experience and demonstrate their results and new developments in the sphere of alternative energy;
- Eco-festival “Zelo”;
- Non-governmental organization “Ecoclub”.